Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!
Our Practice Areas

Frequently Asked Questions

Auto Accident Claims

Most claims we deal with include:

  • Car accidents
  • Truck accidents
  • Commercial vehicle accidents
  • Drunk driving accidents
  • Distracted driving
  • Work-related accidents (such as crashing a company car)
  • Motorcycle accidents

However, if you have been in any type of motor vehicle accident, feel free to reach out to us. We have complied a collection of auto accident specific FAQs here.

Call Doehling Law at (970) 292-7171 today or use our online contact form if you have any other questions. We look forward to helping you!

Medical Malpractice FAQ

  • Q:Is My Personal Injury Settlement or Verdict Taxable?

    A:This depends: Punitive damages are taxable as "other means of income." Interest income comes from judgment interest. Compensation for economic and noneconomic damages is not taxed by the IRS. The settlement or verdict agreement will be clearly stated so the IRS will impose you fairly.

  • Q:What Is the Required Minimum Auto Insurance In Colorado?

    A:Legal auto insurance coverage is: $25,000 per injured victim $15,000 minimum in property damage $50,000 per accident, no matter how many victims have been affected Since Colorado is a "fault" state, this means you can file a claim against the defendant driver's insurance carrier. However, if the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, there are steps you can take to get around that.

  • Q:If the Accident Was Somewhat My Fault, Can I Still Win My Case?

    A:Yes. However, you may not win the maximum possible settlement amount. Under Colorado's fault principles, your damages will be decreased in proportion to your fault. So, if you were 30% at fault, then your damages would be reduced by that amount in the claims. Keep in mind that the court determines fault.

  • Q:How Much Time Do I Have to File an Auto Accident Lawsuit?

    A:In most cases, you have around three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. The deadline can be prolonged if you discovered the injury later. If you are planning to sue a government establishment, you may be required to file a claim within a few months after the accident.

Answering Your Personal Injury Queries

Do you have questions about car accidents or other personal injury claims in Colorado? Our Grand Junction personal injury team at Doehling Law can help. Check out the Q&A section below or reach out to us directly if you have more specific inquiries. We offer all new clients a free case evaluation, so you can ask your questions with no obligation to work with us. However, we hope you will! We’ve represented personal injury victims in Colorado for decades and would be happy to work with you as well.

Contact Doehling Law with your questions or to schedule your free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys.

Contact Us Today

We Want to Hear From You
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.