Grand Junction Personal Injury Attorney
Protecting You Against Financial Peril After a Serious Injury
If you or someone you love has suffered severe injuries in a personal injury accident, you face many challenges, including medical bills, lost wages and the personal turmoil involved with recovering from significant injuries. Not the least of the challenges you will face consists in choosing the right legal team to represent your interests.
At Doehling Law, our injury attorneys represent clients in Grand Junction, in Aspen and throughout the western Colorado area, as well as eastern Utah. We handle cases involving car accidents, slips and falls, wrongful death lawsuits, and a wide range of other claims.
Do Not Let an Insurance Company Intimidate or Take Advantage of You
In addition to our extensive legal experience representing plaintiffs in personal injury claims, at Doehling Law, we also have more than 40 years of combined experience working with insurance companies. We know the strategies they take and the loopholes they use to minimize policyholders' claims. With this experience, we can anticipate their moves to give our clients an edge, which usually results in a more favorable compensation award.
In all of the personal injury claims we handle, the client comes first. While we do all of the legal work for you so you can focus on recovering from your injuries, we will always keep you at the heart of the decision-making process. And we can explain how medical costs paid for by Medicare or VA benefits will affect a possible settlement down the road.
The insurance company agents will be calling you and trying to settle your case quickly. Question their motives. They may hope to settle your claim before you can meet with a lawyer and learn about your rights.
Six Factors in a Personal Injury Settlement
Many people think that when you hire an attorney, you will most likely go to court. Although it is impossible to predict what happens in each case, most cases settle outside of court, saving you time, money and stress of a trial. Our goal is to give you the compensation you need.
Here, we will provide some of the factors that go into obtaining a personal injury settlement:
- In the beginning, a lot of work may be done, such as acquiring photographs, witness statements, medical reports, etc., so we can gather and verify how the accident happened and to find who was exactly at fault.
- We cannot proceed further until we are advised by your doctor that you have been released and have recovered from your injuries or your physical condition has been normalized. At that point, we can begin getting records, medical reports and bills. This process may take some time as health care providers are usually slow to prepare reports.
- The next step to take into account is to negotiate an offer from the insurance company involved. This is another source of the process slowing down because each case is reviewed by multiple insurance employees. When an offer is taken, this will promptly be sent to you for you to look at, and we will discuss the possible courses of action.
- If Doehling Law is unable to obtain a fair settlement with the company through negotiations, we will file a personal injury lawsuit. The defendants that were brought into the case normally have 30 days from the time they get the lawsuit and have to file a response to the document. There may be several defendants or a single defendant who will bring other defendants into the lawsuit.
After the defendants have filed their "answers," the proceedings are started, which may include depositions of witnesses, parties and experts. Doehling Law will instruct and assist you in the whole process and may use discovery devices to help with your claim. Discovery can be expensive and time-consuming given the complexity of any given case.
- After discovery is finished, a trial date is requested. The assignment of the trial date is beyond the control of any party to the lawsuit but depends on how busy the court is.
The first thing you should do after a severe accident is to seek the appropriate medical treatment. Then, talk with an experienced lawyer. The sooner you contact us, the more we can do to preserve critical evidence, contact witnesses and prepare a strong case for you.
To schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney at Doehling Law, please send us an email.