Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting consultations either in-person or via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!
Our Practice Areas

Structured Settlements When Children Are Injured

Accidents that involve children are some of the scariest for parents. If your child under the age of 18 suffered a severe injury, you need to take additional steps to protect any minor settlement.

At Doehling Law, our attorneys have been working with insurance companies for decades. We will not only obtain maximum compensation for your family, but will work with you to ensure that protections are in place for minor children. We have assisted numerous clients with these types of issues after auto accidents or injuries in premises liability cases.

From our offices across the Western Slope of Colorado, Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs and Aspen, we represent families when they need it most. Call (970) 292-7171 to set up a free consultation today.

Generally, two ways exist to protect settlements of $10,000 or more that benefit minor children.

Considering the Options to Protect Your Child's Financial Affairs

In Colorado, the court will appoint a decision maker to handle financial affairs through a conservatorship. This process can take time and require ongoing accountings with the court. But it may be appropriate when medical expenses continue through adolescence, and it is important to be able to access funds for treatments.

Another option is a structured settlement that begins paying out when the child reaches 18. These annuities stretch a settlement into monthly payments over many years and can be useful in many circumstances.

Comprehensive Legal Advice and Answers

Our lawyers offer comprehensive legal services. We will explain the pros and cons related to each of these options and help you decide on a strategy that meets your unique needs.

Schedule a free initial consultation as soon as possible with one of our personal injury attorneys by sending us an email or by calling (970) 292-7171.

Contact Us Today

We Want to Hear From You
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.