Anticipation, Preparation, Dedication
View Our Practice Areas

Road rash: Knowing when to get medical care

One of the injuries you may need to deal with following a motorcycle accident is road rash. Otherwise known as a friction burn and skin lacerations, road rash rips the skin off the body as it grinds against rough ground surfaces.

Following any motorcycle crash, your first step has to be to assess the overall injury. Significant road rash may bleed profusely, and you need to identify if it primarily injuries to the skin or if the injuries go deeper. For most people, the right choice is to go to the hospital as quickly as possible.

Send us an email here or give us a call at 970-628-3907.

How do you know if you need medical help?

The primary way is to look for fat, muscle or bone. If you can see any of these things, you need emergency care. Another thing to consider is how long it has been since you had a tetanus shot. The ground is dirty, and with your skin ripped away, your body is exposed to infectious bacteria and viruses.

What should you do if you can't get to a doctor right away?

In a worst-case scenario, you should always carry a first-aid kit for road rash. Carry essentials such as soap and water, lidocaine and bandages. If the skin layer is intact, lidocaine mixed into a liquid solution helps numb the skin so that you can clean it without pain and reduce pain overall.

If you have an injury that needs medical help from a professional but have to wait, numb the injury with the antiseptic wash and then hold gauze over the wound to reduce or stop the bleeding until you can get help.

Source: Adventure Bike Rider, "How to treat road rash after a motorcycle accident," Johnathan Edwards, accessed June 07, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Me How I Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Grand Junction Office
114 N. Spruce Street
Suite 100
Grand Junction, CO 81501

Phone: 970-628-3907
Fax: 970-245-7902
Map & Directions

Aspen Office
303 Lemond Place
PO Box 5918
Snowmass Village, CO 81615

Phone: 970-628-3907
Fax: 970-245-7902
Map & Directions

Crested Butte Office
319 Elk Avenue
Suite 5
Crested Butte, CO 81224

Phone: 970-628-3907
Fax: 970-245-7902
Map & Directions

Glenwood Springs Office
1607 Grand Ave.
Suite 24
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601

Phone: 970-628-3907
Fax: 970-245-7902
Map & Directions

Montrose Office
335 S. 5th St.
Montrose, Colorado 81401

Map & Directions